Patrick's triumph-faves book montage

Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams & Reaching Your Destiny
Leadership and Self Deception: Getting Out of the Box
Bonds That Make Us Free: Healing Our Relationships, Coming to Ourselves
Gung Ho! Turn On the People in Any Organization
Who Moved My Cheese?
The One Minute Manager
The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey
The Greatest Salesman In The World
The Richest Man in Babylon
The Screwtape Letters
The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
The Great and Terrible Fury & Light
How to Master the Art of Selling
Man's Search for Meaning
Outliers: The Story of Success
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
The Fred Factor: How passion in your work and life can turn the ordinary into the extraordinary
The Present : The Secret to Enjoying Your Work And Life, Now!
Think and Grow Rich


Patrick Laing's favorite books »

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Responsibility and "Triumph Insurance"

I actually don't think I'm going to write (at least not often) on Saturdays or Sundays. Everybody needs a day off and I have five busy children who need my attention at gymnastics and soccer and so forth when I'm actually in town. They like having me present and I think that five days a week is probably enough writing. So, I'm writing to say I'm not going to be writing, at least not on the weekends, at least not until or unless I feel duly impressed that something just has to be said and cannot wait until the coming Monday.

For today, I do want to "break with tradition" and write on the weekend, sharing with you a quick  insight that came to me this afternoon. It's about responsibilityI guess because I spent most of the day with my children and was reminded how much responsibility I have to them and we all have to those we have stewardship over and responsibility for. Whether that's your kids, your partner, your employees or whoever ... a big part of leading a "Triumphant" life is being a “pattern of Triumph” that others can learn from … of doing what it takes to make a difference in others’ lives. Only then have we truly Triumphed, at least in this "Umpher's" opinion.

I think it's fair to say that no one can ever, truly say they've Triumphed without having helped a few others along the way, and oftentimes many ... in business, marriage, parenthood, entertainment, innovation, education, or what have you. TRIUMPH, by its very nature, adds to and amplifies the lives of those it touches. We Triumph most when WE touch one another (and I'm not talking foot rubs or bear hugs). You know what I'm getting at.

The following ad from Liberty Mutual Insurance is an effective reminder of this truth. I get emotional almost every time I see it. 

Hey, have a nice weekend, everybody. It's already half-way over but I'm still going to enjoy the rest thoroughly. I hope you do too. Don't forget to watch the clip.

Live responsibly....

Patrick-Riv


No comments:

Post a Comment