Patrick's triumph-faves book montage

Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams & Reaching Your Destiny
Leadership and Self Deception: Getting Out of the Box
Bonds That Make Us Free: Healing Our Relationships, Coming to Ourselves
Gung Ho! Turn On the People in Any Organization
Who Moved My Cheese?
The One Minute Manager
The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey
The Greatest Salesman In The World
The Richest Man in Babylon
The Screwtape Letters
The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
The Great and Terrible Fury & Light
How to Master the Art of Selling
Man's Search for Meaning
Outliers: The Story of Success
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
The Fred Factor: How passion in your work and life can turn the ordinary into the extraordinary
The Present : The Secret to Enjoying Your Work And Life, Now!
Think and Grow Rich


Patrick Laing's favorite books »

Friday, October 28, 2011

Bill and Grace Laing ... A Quiet Legacy

Speaking of legacies, I wanted to give a quick tribute to my dad's parents, my Grandpa and Grandma Laing, and to the legacy they've built. I'm going to try to make this short--I'm starting to believe that less really is more, in blogs and in life. In fact, I heard a quote recently that said something like "Forgive me, I didn't have time to write you a shorter note," point being that it's often more powerful and more meaningful not when you wax eloquent and long-winded, but when you choose your words carefully and put more thought into actually saying LESS (I think it was by Tennyson or Emerson; I'll try to find the exact quote and author and share them with you later....). Me? I'm still working on brevity myself.

My paternal grandfather, though, William ("Bill") Charles Laing and his bride of 68 years, my grandmother, Grace Scott Laing, are two of my idols and with very good reason. Their legacy is one to be proud of, and they are. They raised 7 children (1 daughter and 6 boys; Grandpa Bill used to always say they had "one-and-a-half-dozen kids"), they have about 40 grandchildren or so and I lose track of how many great-grandchildren (several dozen). I mean, my parents only had 3 kids but they have 17 grandchildren between us, if you can imagine (my sister has 8 of her own)! With six more aunts and uncles and lots of married cousins, well ... you can probably do the math.

Grandpa has cancer now--he's riddled with tumors and Grandma can barely remember her name; she definitely does not remember yours when you go visit. It's actually kind of endearing at times (she's a lot sweeter these days). I went and visited them a couple weeks ago and she kept asking for pictures with names on them and telling us how they used to call her "Great Scott!" whenever they saw her back in school many years ago.

I mention them on this blog, and tell you they're my idols, because they have lived a life FULL of service and caring and unconditional love. When I was a senior in high school I remember many a basketball or soccer game where they were the only ones there cheering me on (my parents didn't even make it, usually). My granddad, especially, has been a pillar of honor, truth and service all his life.

Trust me, Grandma was not the easiest mother, wife or matriarch to grow up with, I'll freely admit. Passionate about her family, the gospel, and her nutrition and lingerie business (she sold "intimates" out of her home for a company, I forget the name), she was also pretty batty at times, pretty cranky at others and just not very healthy; she had blackouts about every 60 days or so, which were trying I know. But Grandpa Bill looked after her and looked AT her, and has for almost seven decades now, as the beautiful, perfect young woman he married. I've never once heard him complain, never once seen him lose his temper, never once even seen him roll his eyes over her frequent rants and ravings. No, he would just put his arms around her, compliment her cooking, help her up to bed and tuck her in for the night. He is and has been, for as long as I can remember, a SAINT--the most loving, faithful, and consistent person I have ever had the privilege of knowing.

He is the original "Deep River" and my inspiration to become that man. You would agree, if you knew him ... the epitome of Triumph. I personally believe that this is one of those key principles behind an inarguably Triumphant life: if you can't truly learn to serve ... if you can't truly be consistent ... if you tend to throw in the towel too easily, when things get tough or people aren't perfect around you ... if you can't overcome the hard things in life, even when they are closest to you? If you can't do these things, you can never expect to Triumph over life. And, not just this, but you will also never truly find the joy and satisfaction available to us all. Joy comes through endurance and patience and turning the other cheek, in my experience. It comes through loving those around us unconditionally (except in rare cases of abuse or neglect, of course; then we may love them but we may also exit for our sanity and safety and this is perfectly understood, and personal, of course).

I've watched my grandparents and I've see "Triumph" in their eyes. They have never been rich as to the things of this world, the material "needs" we all think we "need." But they are WEALTHY and they have been ... their entire lives. They may not have much, they may be running out of time--Grandpa is 96 and dying of cancer; Grandma is 90 and I can't imagine her hanging on long without him present in her life--but, they have lived their lives the way any of us would be proud to--FULLY. They have sucked the marrow out of life and built a legacy of which they can be proud. I know I am. I don't know anyone who knows them who isn't.


I appreciate you very much, you two. Don't know if you'll ever get on and read this post; probably not. But, that's okay. It's the thought that counts ... and I think you're both amazing.

Ever grateful,

Your eldest grandchild, John Patrick "River" Laing

5 comments:

  1. I've had the opportunity to meet Grace and Bill twice in my life time and both times were cheerful and memorable. They are a good example of choosing to view the better part in a loved one and then dwelling there. That is a triumph to celebrate but it's the courage behind that kind of dedicated love that I so admire.

    Grace repeats the same three phrases over and over and two of them are about how lucky she feels to have Bill and how she feels he treats her so well. Of all the life events she could hold on to in her latter years to get lodged into a failing mind that cycles through only three commentries (at least on the day I saw her) those are pretty profound reflections on her heart I feel. The third remark she repeates is her love and joy in her posterity and the triumphant lives they all lead. She couldn't be any happier in my opinion, Bill too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick, this entry touched our hearts. SO glad you captured how we all feel about Pop Laing. For us this is your best entry so far, so full of the spirit of love for these dear people. I know they will enjoy reading it and learning how one of their grandsons feels about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, very well said about both of them! (Tyler's wife, who is Ron's oldest son)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8/11/2012

    I googled Bill and Grace Laing the morning after Grandpa passed, and much to my delight, found this blog. Wow Patrick, thank you for this. I love my Grandpa, and will forever. These words about my Grandpa will forever ring throughout generations of his posterity because of the truth they speak and the strength they hold: nothing greater could Grandpa have left his family than his life's example.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish we had time in the funeral program for me to get up and share a few thoughts like these ... the "perspective from the grandchildren," if you will. It's okay. I know the schedule's packed, especially with 7 siblings all speaking. I appreciate the feedback. If you knew Grandpa Bill, you know every word is true. We will miss you, Grandpa ... but know you're still close, watching over your sweetheart. I think she'll be with you sooner than later. She loves you so much, and so do we. Eternally... Patrick-Riv.

    ReplyDelete