Patrick's triumph-faves book montage

Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams & Reaching Your Destiny
Leadership and Self Deception: Getting Out of the Box
Bonds That Make Us Free: Healing Our Relationships, Coming to Ourselves
Gung Ho! Turn On the People in Any Organization
Who Moved My Cheese?
The One Minute Manager
The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey
The Greatest Salesman In The World
The Richest Man in Babylon
The Screwtape Letters
The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
The Great and Terrible Fury & Light
How to Master the Art of Selling
Man's Search for Meaning
Outliers: The Story of Success
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
The Fred Factor: How passion in your work and life can turn the ordinary into the extraordinary
The Present : The Secret to Enjoying Your Work And Life, Now!
Think and Grow Rich


Patrick Laing's favorite books »

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Inspiration From a Gifted Writer

As you know, I've highlighted a few different writers on this blog ... Faulkner, Hemingway, Hunter S. Thompson and so forth. I never cease to be amazed how talented some are, and where their passion, pathos and inspiration come from. It varies for all of us, of course, some positive, some not. Mine, personally, has come from multiple sources, people and lessons learned. Most recently, a friend of mine, Allie Hanley, an entertainment writer and film contributor in Seattle who writes for www.culturemob.com, was the last in a long list of influences that made me finally sit down and start writing this blog.

Among other things, Allie encouraged me to get off my hind-end and just start writing ... something, anything!  "The key is to just write daily," she told me, "in a journal, on a blog, whatever: JUST WRITE!"

Well, I've been talking about it for years. I have a couple of "Next Great American Novels" struggling along, but not very quickly. I really have wanted to write and do want to get my voice out into cyberspace; so ... with Allie's prompting, and several good examples, I bit the bullet and did so. And you know? I am loving the challenge. Don't know what you think about it, but the hits I'm getting would suggest that people like the concept, and the content. I hope so. I am certainly enjoying the experience.

Thank you, Allie, for the kick in the caboose; thanks to all of you who've inspired me and taught me (my grandmother, author Lucile Tate, among others--she's a future blog post subject; Og Mandino, CS Lewis, Malcolm Gladwell.... the list is long and growing). Thank you all. I appreciate the push.

It's not Shakespeare, but I don't think it has to be. Thanks for reading....

JP River

Note: If you'd like to read some of Allie's awesome CultureMob articles, go to http://culturemob.com/author/alliehanley

No comments:

Post a Comment