Patrick's triumph-faves book montage

Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams & Reaching Your Destiny
Leadership and Self Deception: Getting Out of the Box
Bonds That Make Us Free: Healing Our Relationships, Coming to Ourselves
Gung Ho! Turn On the People in Any Organization
Who Moved My Cheese?
The One Minute Manager
The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey
The Greatest Salesman In The World
The Richest Man in Babylon
The Screwtape Letters
The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
The Great and Terrible Fury & Light
How to Master the Art of Selling
Man's Search for Meaning
Outliers: The Story of Success
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
The Fred Factor: How passion in your work and life can turn the ordinary into the extraordinary
The Present : The Secret to Enjoying Your Work And Life, Now!
Think and Grow Rich


Patrick Laing's favorite books »

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Big Year: A Surprising Gem

I watched a movie a short while ago called "The Big Year" that I really enjoyed and I've been wanting to write a Triumph post about it. Though the critics' reviews have been mixed (it has a B- on Rotten Tomatoes), I found it entertaining, enlightening and also poignant in its own way.

It was entertaining because, with not just one or two but THREE comedic powerhouses starring in the film--Steve Martin, Owen Wilson and Jack Black--you could expect to be entertained, and they did the job well. The comedy wasn't slapstick or crude at all (despite the two younger headliners and their normal repertoires). It was tasteful and creative and pretty darn funny, I thought. It was also thoughtful; but I'll talk about that more in a minute.

The film was enlightening because it tells the tale of three "birders" (bird watching enthusiasts) who set out to outdo each other in the so-called "Big Year" race, an annual U.S. competition among birders to see who can view the most different bird species in a single year. Enlightening? Educational? Informative? It was all of these and more. I think I enjoyed it mostly because it was a subject I know little about, and the "Triumphant editor" in me of course enjoyed seeing how passionate many of the participants in the contest were. I came away with my eyes opened to a new and intriguing hobby (I actually found the whole sport quite interesting). And much of the cinematography they shot in the film was absolutely gorgeous, ranging from Maine to Alaska and everything in-between.

I also found the film to be poignant and thought provoking, primarily because of three main reasons in particular. First, I enjoy stories that remind us of how success requires focus and focus usually requires passion; the guys in the movie were certainly a passionate, if not borderline-fanatic, trio. Second, the movie reminds us that, even when tempted, we can't afford to abandon our values, even when competing or working toward a goal. It isn't good enough to "win" if we leave what's most important behind; Triumph, true triumph, demands a certain moral code, a code I'm pretty sure we're all familiar with. And then there's the third highlight, Sacrifice. I won't ruin the story, but suffice it to say, the movie does a good job paralleling life with their hobby / pursuit and reminding us of the costs that so often accompany our pursuits of excellence. It reminds us to be cognizant of all that's required, and ask if, in the end, it's worth it. Sometimes it is; sometimes it just isn't. Whatever the case, I know from experience that it usually isn't an easy, downhill stroll. Most things that matter rarely are. The movie, like I said, does an excellent job reiterating this point--the demand and the price that are usually required. I found it to be a timely reminder for myself and my family, and maybe the rest of you as well.

Anyway. That's about it.... I do recommend The Big Year, whether or not you're a movie buff. It's one of those films I could go rent and watch again, even tonight. It's, well ... it's different, but in a good way; I personally thought it was fantastic.

Here's to you ... whatever your hobbies, passions or aspirations are. I hope they too are entertaining, enlightening and poignant for you and yours and that this year has been your "Big Year" and that 2012 will be even bigger still. Best of luck and skill...! Patrick-Riv

No comments:

Post a Comment